Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, January 17, 2005

Monday, Monday

Woke up this morning to 5 degrees outside and a negative 9 wind chill - the frost on the car windows reappeared almost as fast as it could be scrapped (my DH was out in that cold doing the scrapping for me, he's sweet!).. I spend an hour or so every morning with my mother who lives about 2 minutes away by car - it's a 6 minute walk but between the arthritis in my knee and the ill-kept sidewalks between here and there walking isn't the option that it was two years ago - in this weather it means brushing off snow or scraping frost up to six times a day in that I also go over in the afternoon to get her mail and again after dinner for about ninety minutes. Dad passed away less than a year after they moved here, so it's wonderful that she's close so I can spend so much time with her. Tonight is going to be another cold one, going down to 2 or maybe lower - brrrr.. I'm going to be wearing my fingerless gloves when I'm watching TV tonight as the family room is on the lower level and it gets a bit nippy down there.

Finished the second glove this evening along with the tan cap. Will probably work on the Rag-tag afghan as I've been ignoring it for the past couple days. I have a few PIPs (Projects in Progress) that I should get back to. I'm almost done with the yoke of the cranberry cabled sweater, but I'm afraid that the Cranberry Love-Knit I have left may not be enough to finish it. I'm not sure why the company no longer makes it - or why Kmart discontinued their yarn department so I couldn't get the last skein I wanted - but I'm trying to decide if I can substitute a similar shade in regular knitting worsted weight for the cuffs, bottom band & button band. I'm wearing the same sweater made of heather grey Love-Knit, but I don't remember after all this time if I was able to get it out of 5 skeins or if I needed six. I also have a vest that I started making for Mom - cream with a blue, green, purple variegated yarn worked into the fair-isle pattern. I'm up to the armholes on that one, working circular and it's been sitting in the basket for about a year now waiting for me to pick out what design I want on the yoke. Maybe just working on Rag-tags would be a lot easier



This is the grey cable sweater. The pattern originally was from a Pingouin book of patterns for children. I made that version for my daughter about 20 years ago and then decided to use the slightly heavier Love-Knit yarn and larger needles to make an adult version without the basket-weave and other patterns of the original version.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a