Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, January 25, 2010

There's A Hole In Our Home & Our Hearts



We lost our little Callie a week ago Thursday & there's a sense of emptiness in our home. She was around 15 or so - it's difficult to know when you adopt adult cats from a rescue group - but we'd hoped to have her for a few more years. She came to us from the Michigan Animal Rescue League through their adoption center at PetSmart in Rochester Hills. We wandered in one day to pick up cat food & as usual went past the room with the cats & kittens looking for a home. Callie had a lot of charm - she managed to ensnare DH through two panes of glass and the cage door. Next thing I knew I was filling out adoption papers and we brought her home a couple days later. The staff told us that she'd arrived about 20 minutes before we saw her & that it was very unusual for a cat to be placed there before the stitches from her neutering operation had been removed, so I guess it was meant to be.

Her name at the shelter was "Tigger" - not really apt for a Calico, plus she spent the first couple days hiding in my quilting cupboards, so she became "Callie". I don't really think she cared what she was called as long as it involved food. She was tiny compared to our other cats - maybe 13# at her plumpest - but she ruled the roost. If Moki & Tiger started to mix it up, Callie would be there almost immediately to whop them on the nose & send them to their respective corners. She continued her role as Queen of the House after we lost Moki & Tiger, adopted Boomer & inherited Sadie. It was funny to watch Boomer thinking that he was sneaking up on Sadie only to see that it was Callie at the food bowl & quickly turning tail to slink away.

At first, she wasn't very cuddly as though her previous owners hadn't allowed her on their laps, but she soon discovered that one of us was always available for an ear scratch. It wasn't long before she adopted the waterbed as a preferred sleeping spot - that is if there wasn't a sunbeam coming in the windows in the living room. It seems strange to see that sunbeam & for it to be empty.. Rest in peace, little one - you're missed so much..

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Magic Girl said...

So sorry to hear that. Hugs your way!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'm so sorry Jane. My heart goes out to you and your family. *hugs*

7:18 AM  
Blogger Ida said...

What a lovely tribute. I know what it means to lose a beloved furry family member. She was a lucky cat, and I agree that it was meant for her and your family to come together. Thank you also for adopting an adult cat.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Oh, sooooo sorry to hear about your loss, Jane. Pets really ARE family members, and it hurts a lot to lose them.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Monique said...

It's always sad when the little members of our family pass on.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Sweet, pretty gal, I know you miss her! But you gave her a chance at knowing what a good home and happy life is all about, so you did her a world of good.
Our rescued babies bring much joy to our lives...
I'm so sorry she couldn't stay with you longer.
(((hugs)))

2:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara Marr said...

I so feel your sorry. We lost our 15 year old a couple of years ago - a long haired yellow male. I still miss him even though God sent an abused, starved pregnant female to adopt us just a couple of months earlier. We now have the mother cat and two from that litter as in/out cats - all spayed.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Handmade with love by G said...

She might not have lived with you as long as you hoped, but she had the best time of her life at your home for sure.

I feel your pain deep in my heart. I don't know if this could ease the pain a bit, but it sounds she was really really lucky to have met you before she passed away.

Love

G.

6:37 AM  
Blogger R Casey said...

I think the first thing I ever read on your blog was your meezers taking over the keyboard, back in about 2005 or 2006. (I recently got back a bunch of bookmarks that had been lost for years!). I lost my calico 2 years ago, and still miss her. Cats are such fur people, in so many ways, and missed greatly. I'm sorry for your loss, but glad to find Plain Jane again!

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a