Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Playing Catch-Up...

Yes, it's been a LONG time since I sat down here to post.. Let's see, what's happened in those weeks:

1) I planted my garden. Started out with around 24 tomato plants, 4 zucchini & 8 basil.

2) I flew from Flint to Atlanta to Baltimore to visit DD#1 & her family in Pennsylvania. AirTran had good ticket prices, but flying way south to come back north seems a little strange. Had a very good time including helping pick out garden plants & getting them into the ground.

3) Flew home and planted more tomatoes - heirloom ones this time. Eight Mr. Stripy, four Yellow Pear & four Black Krim. We put them in various places around the yard to see where they'll do best. Besides, with the regular garden spot full, we had to sort of fit them in where we could. {g}

4) Went to garage sales, but at one I tripped on the curb, took a tumble & broke a little chunk off the second bone in my big toe. I've been wearing a boot that would look right at home on a StarWars Storm Trooper ever since. X-rays this last Monday show that it isn't starting to heal yet so I'm on mega-doses of calcium & a regular dose of vitamin D.

5) Watched the garden progress very slowly because except for a few days our temperatures have been below normal. Only 64° here at 4 p.m. today. For me, the lower temperatures are wonderful, but I think the tomatoes would appreciate a bit warmer. I have blossoms and a few *small* green tomatoes, but nowhere near what the tomatoes were doing last summer.

6) I've been knitting & reading since moving around in this boot isn't the most fun. FWIW, if you're ever wondering if I'm still alive, check the "Recently Read" list over in the left sidebar - I've been updating that regularly as I use it to check when a book seems overly familiar (I might have read it a year or two earlier). I've just finished the 85th book so far this year.

In knitting, I'm still working on hat/scarf sets for the shelter for homeless vets. I just finished the hat for set #53 and am working on the scarf. Here's the latest batch since the last photo:



I guess that's about all the news. I'm going to recharge the camera batteries and hope to be a better blogger in the future..

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Sorry to hear about your foot, Jane! It's always so encouraging to see all the hats & scarves you're making for others. I hope your toe heals soon!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Glad to see you back, blogging! Since we email everyday this isn't news to me, but I still think you should be out here!
:)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Congratulations.....looking forward to seeing your pile by the end of the year.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a