Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A Slight Reprieve - CPSIA

Last Friday, the CPSC placed a one year stay on the enforcement of testing & certification outlined in the CPSIA law. This doesn't relieve craftspeople from the responsibility of making sure that their materials do not contain lead or phthalates, but it does provide time to hopefully get politicians to amend the law to require component testing rather than testing of the finished item. At the meeting of manufacturers with the CPSC staff back on January 22nd, Coats & Clark representatives presented the test results on their yarns showing that there's little or no lead involved in the fiber or dye. If component testing is allowed, this type of results should eliminate many of the problems for crafters whether we sell or donate finished items.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'm hoping this stay will allow the law to be enforced without killing the small business person in the process. It is good that we have a bit of hope now regarding this issue. :)

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a