Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Good Golly, Miss Molly...

Once again, it's been a while & I seem to have missed my own Blogversary on the 6th. But I haven't been idle..


These are about half of the Snuggles (see The Snuggles Project home page) that I crocheted out of Homespun and took to the Michigan Animal Rescue League for the cat cages. These were in way of a thank-you to a kind lady who donated five large boxes of acrylic coned yarn to our group in 2007 that we used to make hats & scarves for the shelter for homeless veterans in Detroit. I took 21 Snuggles to the shelter in December and these 19 a little over a week ago. Homespun is a nice yarn to work with, but after it's washed, it looks a little ratty - enough so that we don't use it for hats, scarves or afghans - but it stays soft and the cats shouldn't mind how it looks. Here's the entire pile including a trial granny square Snuggle on top.


I've been knitting slippers for sale at the Senior Center. Marina, one of our K4 members, knit about 11 pair for the craft sale and we sold out. I'm hoping that these sell well too.


These two baby afghans were crocheted over the Xmas holidays - before I learned that thanks to the new CPSIA law that will render them as "hazardous waste" on February 10th because no charity group and very few crafts people who make items for children 12 & under will be able to afford the testing for lead that will be required at that time. I'm probably going to rant more about this well meaning but stupidly written law at a later date but for now, there's good information at CPSIA Central as well as forums on Twitter, Ebay, Etsy, and other places where we knitters & crocheters gather.





Our group donated at least one 18 gallon tote of baby & children's hats & scarves just before Christmas. It's heart-breaking that unless the CPSIA law is amended that we will be unable to do that this coming year. Right now, I'm starting in on *adult* hats & scarves that are not included in the law.

In other news, Michigan - like much of the country - has been in a deep freeze (-21° windchills at one point) and then when it warmed up a few degrees we got about 6" of snow. Here are the views out the sliding door into the back yard.






There really are four more steps there after the first one - it just *looks* like a ski run.. {g}

4 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Oh! Snow! Whee!

I have my fingers crossed that the law will be amended...there's certainly noise that will be the case.
Lotsa knitting goin' on in your world, as usual!
(((Hugs)))

11:43 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

...don't get me started on that law...

Everything looks beautiful...I'm know it will be appreciated... :)

8:43 AM  
Blogger Daniele said...

You have definitely not been idle! Great finished projects.

I had heard about that law too. GAH........

11:39 AM  
Blogger Daniele said...

I don't think you have ever been idle!!! Great projects.

I heard about that law too, ugh......

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a