Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, September 29, 2008

Playing Catch-up

I'm playing catch-up because I had a batch of photos in the camera but kept forgetting that I needed to download them and post.. I know, bad blogger {g}

First up are three of my knitting students:


Rada is on the left & Frances on the right, both busy with their crocheting. Rada doesn't need much in the way of help and Frances is working her way through a 60 block afghan book turning the patterns into lap robes and scarves.


This is Jean who is working on a sock. She's learned to both knit and crochet over the past year. I should have taken the camera along to get a few more photos today as there are several other ladies in the class.


Marina, another of my students, made this lap robe as her first crochet project. The center flowers came in a bag of garage sale yarn and she added the green "leaves" and the white edging and put the whole thing together!!


Rada made two lap robes out of yarn provided by Beaumont Hospital - this first one is double crochet in three colors.


The second uses the left over yarn for a large granny square.



This was my project for the day. Several of my students want to make this hat pattern and I'd never tried working enterlac, so - with the motto of "fools rush in where angels fear to tread", I cast on today in class and finished it tonight during Boston Legal.



This photo gives a better idea of the texture of the hat. The pattern started at the top of the hat and worked down. Now that I know what I'm doing (sort of), I think I'd start at the bottom and work up. I'm pairing this with a scarf crocheted in the box stitch which looks very similar with a diagonal texture.


This is a rather plain hat & scarf set worked in WoolEase Bulky that I finished last week. Not real fancy, but it's going to be warm and should go with anything.


Another lap robe for Beaumont that I worked in box stitch. I like the way that variegated yarn works up using this stitch.


The garter stitch center knit section of this lap-robe was found in a bag of garage sale yarn. I think it may have been meant for a sweater back as a section about half as wide was in the same bag. I unraveled the smaller section and used the yarn to add a granny stitch border.

I've often mentioned how we've been finding yarn at garage sales - here is the bounty from a couple weeks ago. This entire pile was around $6 total.



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

The girls look great and they're so accomplished! Everything is wonderful...
(((hugs)))

12:11 PM  
Blogger Daniele said...

Wow, such talent with knitting and crochet! I love garage sale finds!!!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

what a yarn score!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a