Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lap Robes For The Veterans' Hospital

Since the start of the year, I've been working on lap robes that will go to the Veterans' Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This hospital receives between 30 & 35 military personel a month who have been maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan. The chaplin from the American Legion who picks up the lap robes at the Senior Center where our K4group meets and delivers them to the hospital tells us that many of these men & women arrive with absolutely nothing and the robes help them to cover the wounds thus preserving their dignity. Anyway, here are the latest ones that I've turned in. All are crocheted in the brick (box, brain-dead) stitch using leftovers from last year's hats & scarves along with the creams, whites & beiges that our group has in abundance.











The day I took the photos of the finished robes was brighter than I thought & the flash on my camera didn't go off. The photos above show the center sections quite well but the darker colored ends sort of blur together. The following swatches match the order of the above photos and, with the flash, give a better idea of the colors I used although they're actually darker than shown - somewhere between the two sets of photos.











I'm already working on the next lap robe but I need to take some time to knit another pair of Fuzzy Feet as DH has already worn holes in the pair I made him in January.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger bubbleboo said...

What beautiful robes - and what a lovely idea. I'm sure the veterans appreciate that they are not forgotten when they come home.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

They really are beautiful! Such a wonderful gift for those who have given us so much! :)

7:34 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I know they're appreciated! Great job!
(((hugs)))

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a