Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Ring Around The Rosy

Yesterday & today I took a couple *big* steps and joined two Web-Rings - Michigan Knits & Acrylics Anonymous. Staying true to my earlier rant about the difficulty in finding the ring link on some sites, I put them right over there at the top of the side-bar so that it's easy to click through to the next site if I get boring.

Both rings fit because I live in Michigan (the little white cross on the Michigan map graphic I made gives my approximate location) and I knit almost exclusively with acrylic and other non-natural (but washable) fibers. I do have several skeins of wool that I purchased by mistake this last summer at a garage sale so I'm thinking of turning them into something that can be felted like a Sophie bag. Otherwise, I don't want to fuss with fibers that can't take a trip through the washer without coming out six sizes smaller.

Many, many years ago, when my eldest daughter was a toddler, I knit a white and blue Scandinavian style sweater for her in sport weight wool with snowflakes, reindeer and all the other wonderful patterns of that style. Unfortunately, after the second time she wore it, it accidentally became mixed in with the other clothes and came out of the dryer about the correct size for a Cabbage Patch doll - 20 years before CP dolls were marketed. That experience soured me on wool and a few years later I spent a couple weeks crocheting a lacy camisole out of Knit-Cro-Sheen. Even hand laundering didn't help keep it looking new although it didn't shrink too much, but that ruled out cotton. I still use the worsted weight cotton yarn for dish cloths, but I don't care if those come out of the dryer looking like rags - they still work better than any commercial version. On the other hand, my sayelle Aran Isle sweater - cast on the evening I went into labor with my younger daughter almost 33 years ago - still looks great.



This evening, I worked on the Rag-Tag afghan for a couple hours while watching NCIS and L&O - SVU. I have most of a cap done in pink & white bulky yarn finished, will complete that and probably cast on another cap to work on while I'm reading. Or maybe I'll just sit here for a while, surfing knitting blogs until this Jerry Garcia concert tape from October 1987 finishes - that man could play guitar like no one else!.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a