Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Baby Afghans & Stitch Markers

Here are the baby afghans I've been working on this week for our K4 groups charity knitting - ok, they're really crocheted, but somehow writing out "knitting & crocheting" seems overly long & awkward, so when I refer to knitting in conjunction with the group, please assume that I mean crocheting too.. The two that are finished are about 36" square and rather lacy as I'm using a size K hook and 75 double crochet across. The lilac one has 9 rows of white at either end and the one with the pastel variegated yarn is more random as I switched from the pastels to white and back as I ran out of partial skeins. The one I'm working on in Jamie pistachio will be like the lilac. I just started it last night so I'm only about half way through the first skein of green. It seems to take two skeins of color and one of the white to make this size.



Yesterday, I mentioned having problems with all the yarn loop markers on the Clapotis. I had thought that I might be able to find small metal rings at the hardware, but that didn't work out. They had black "O" rings that might have worked, but at 35ยข each it seemed a bit much. On the way home, I stopped at the drug store and there in the hair accessories aisle I found neon bright "ouchless" elastic bands from Goodie - on sale, 75 for $1.50 plus tax. As you can see below, they're working quite nicely. The bands are flexible so they don't interfere with how I hold my needles and the bright colors show up (except for the purple ones). I can feel them on the needles, so I was able to knit last night without watching which means that the Clapotis will move along a little faster. I'm up to 13 markers and I like the way that the colors of the yarn are blending.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Wow! I love the way your colors are blending on your Clapotis too. And what a practical solution the Goody hairbands make for markers. Good for you! I haven't done much of anything the last few days but lay on the couch with a virus, but your blog is inspiring!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Clapotis is looking great I will be checking her progress.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

If I ever need that many stitch markers, I'll know where to get them. Thanks for sharing!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

The yarn is Caron's Rainbow Dreams in the Jetstream colorway..

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a