Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, February 14, 2005

Knit-Along Clapotis Style

Ok, I did it - just over a month into the Blogging World, I joined a Knit-Along for the Clapotis. I found this button on the 2004 Knit-Along page and hope that it's still appropriate.



I cast on last night with the Rainbow Dreams and a size 8 circular from my Boye NeedleMaster kit, and I'm getting a spot-on gauge of 19 st & 25 rows to 4". I had a little trouble at first with the pfb (purl front & back) but finally came up with something that seemed to work. I checked on the knit-along message board this morning and found this very helpful instructional link posted by Lindsey that lead to a series of videos on increasing and decreasing. The one for pfb showed that I was doing it right!! Yippie! So, at this point, I'm up to 7 markers across the row, working toward 9, and I'm beginning to see the lure of the ring markers everyone seems to be using. I'm just using my usual contrasting color yarn in a little slip knot around the needle. It works, but it's not very elegant and that many markers don't lend themselves to mindless knitting else I knit the marker (which I've done before). I worked a bit over two hours last night - through Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal & a bit of the local news - but I'm not yet ready to try working the pattern while reading. I guess that's ok because I can continue with the crocheted baby afghans when I have a book in my lap, but I want to see the Clapotis grow! I should have realized while reading everyone else's experiences with this pattern that it would be addicting.



On the weather front, south-east Michigan got hit with freezing rain last night and my car looks like a little white ice cube. The temperature is up to 37 so hopefully it will start melting soon so I can get over to see Mom (and also get a cup of coffee). There's actually a garage sale scheduled for today - February in Michigan?? - and my DH wants to go. He says that it's a sure sign that Spring is around the corner.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pioggia said...

Thanks for the sock advice you left on my blog. I also discovered recently the knitting help site. It's been very useful so far. The yarn you chose for your Clapotis is gorgeous, I can't wait to see the finished result.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a