Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, February 05, 2005

A Rainbow Hat

One of the skeins of yarn that I picked up at Thursday's K4 meeting was Red Heart crayon box variegated. Last night I decided to see how it would work up in my standard 66 stitch circular hat pattern that I've been using for all the other hats. I started out with the ribbing in black and then switched to the variegated for the stockinette. To my surprise, instead of the colors spiraling around the hat the way the other variegated yarns did, the colors stayed in columns with just enough overlap to make it interesting.





I didn't want to disturb the developing pattern with the decrease rows, so I tried a different finishing technique. I turned the hat inside out, divided the stitches between two dp needles and worked a three needle bind-off. Then I tacked the two corners created this way together.



Another time, I would be more careful about the tacking stitches as the blue yarn that was next on the strand shows up too much against the red & green. A pom-pom should cover that - or maybe I'll take it out and try again.

In the meantime, another feline photo. Both Moki & Callie are on a lite formula cat food because of their girth, but Tiger tends to be skinny and gets skinnier on the low-cal stuff. Therefore, he gets fed the "high-test" version up here much to the disgust of the other two - especially Moki. Here's what Tiger has to contend with unless I haul Moki out of the room and downstairs to his own food dish. You've heard of the grass always being greener in the other food bowl, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Your rainbow hats are so gorgeous!! Love the great pictures of them. I think I'll look for some "Red Heart crayon box vareigated". You have a nice blog :-)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jenny Hassler said...

Boy, I'm glad your comment on my blog led me to your blog! I do love how the crayon turned out in this hat!! Nice, nice!!

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a