Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Snow, Snow, Go Away

We've been under a winter storm warning here in south eastern Michigan today with over 10" coming down since this time last night. It's been a good day to sit & knit & read.. I have seven scarves completed now and another on the needles. These are the first six (along with my favorite knitting buddy):



The seventh is out of raspberry crush variegated Dazzleaire. (Rant Warning) Back in the 70s, Caron Yarns made both Dazzle & Dazzleaire. Most people are still familiar with Dazzleaire - a slightly fluffy yarn that looks great when knit or crocheted, but it doesn't wear or wash worth a "plugged nickel". Dazzle on the other hand was a wonderful yarn - worsted weight, a little glint to it, and it wore like iron. Sweaters made from it outlasted two active children, it never pilled and it washed & dried like a dream. So what does Caron discontinue? Not the yarn that looks like a rag after a washing or two, but the kind that lasts and lasts. Planned obsoleteness? Disregard for those using the yarn? Good question, but I've found the same lack of wearing ability in many other yarns and often wondered why anyone would buy such yarn more than once. Suffice it to say, that if the Dazzleaire for the scarves had not been donated and if it was being made into anything other than a fashion scarf that probably won't need much laundrying, I wouldn't waste my time with it. (End rant.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a