Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, January 31, 2005

January Blahs

I almost made it through January without being hit by the BLAHS, but they got me yesterday and are hanging on for dear life today. Basically, I'm bored - I'm knitting another hat, crocheting another afghan, the same stuff that I've been doing for four months now. I'll keep on doing it because there are people out there who need hats & afghans to keep warm this winter and these will be passed along through several charities, but I'm bored. I started reading The Siren Queen by Fiona Buckley and could not get into it, so I set it aside last night and started Brimstone by Preston & Lincoln, another Agent Pendergast mystery / adventure which will hopefully hold my interest better.

I paged through a pile of old Knitters magazines last night while watching Law & Order, but didn't see any sweaters that caught my fancy. So many of them look blocky or just aren't appealing. I still have a couple stacks to look through and if I really run out, there are two or three boxes of old McCall's Needlework, Ladies Home Journal Needlework, American Home Needlework, Handmade, & Good Housekeeping Needlework magazines in the crawl space. I've been collecting knitting magazines since around 1950 when Mom bought me my first McCall's Needlework which I still have. I guess I could be considered a first rate pack rat.

With neither a spellbinding book or knitting project at hand today, I spent most of the afternoon adding the HTML coding to genealogy data files that were transcribed for my site, so I did accomplish something today. The link to my genealogy site is under my profile - it now has over 2200 data files from New England, NY, & MI. The ones I coded and put up today included four chapters of the history of Norwich, CT; the 1790 Census & 1798 Direct Tax listing from Coltrain, MA; & the Mt. Airy Cemetery from Hunterdon Co., NJ. If you have ancestors in New England, drop by and see if there's anything there to help your research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a