Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Saturday Morning

It's Saturday morning, so where did Thursday & Friday go???? Thursday was the K4 (that's the Krazy Kool Knitters & Krocheters for those who are just finding this blog - a group at our Senior Center organized by Virginia to knit for charity) meeting. After our frenzied knitting of fashion scarves between Thursday & Tuesday of last week so as to have a selection ready for sale at the Tuesday night open house, only five people came and only two scarves were sold by Thursday afternoon. The scarves are still hanging on a rattan screen in the dining room, so hopefully more will sell so the group will have some $$$ in the kitty for the next yarn sale. Other than that disappointment, the meeting was fun. As usual, we sat, worked on our projects & chatted. I turned in the four caps I had finished, worked on the latest rag-tag afghan which is almost finished, and picked up yarn for more caps.

Yesterday morning was filled with running errands. We hit the library on the way to the store and I picked up four books on knitting and one on quilting. The Art of Classic Quilt Making by Harriet Hargrave & Sharyn Craig is right up my "alley" - quilts with an antique look. The knit books are as follows: Beyond Stitch & Bitch, by Afi-Odelia Scruggs; The Mitten Book, by Inger & Ingrid Gottfridsson, Folk Vests, by Cheryl Oberle & Country Inspiration, by Sasha Kagan. There's one vest in the latter that I love - Leafy Waistcoat on page 56.



The cabled edging is particularly nice, but it's made separately and then sewn on - and I know my record for sewing things together (hint: it's LOUSY).. I wonder if there would be a way of making I-cord look like a cable and knitting it on? The Folk Vest book is one that I tend to drool over - some of the vests are so neat and I love vests. The Mitten Book is so-so - probably nothing there that I'd make. I also picked up a pile of novels to read while knitting. Last night I finished Citizen Washington (a very good read) & started A Hole in Texas by Herman Wolk.

The Fuzzy Feet are complete except for the kitchener stitch needed to close the toes. I'll attempt that later today with the aid of Knitty.com's Techniques with Theresa.



Last night, I cast on another hat in a cranberry / plum bulky yarn - the ribbing is done and I'm hoping that I have enough yarn to finish the hat as it seems to be using more than I expected.



I had photos ready to go with the above, but it seems that the site where I store my photos is once again unavailable. Will add them later when things get straightened out. (Sorry!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a