Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Another Year Gone

New Year's Eve and another year gone by. It's been a fairly busy one for me. In October of 2004, a group of us formed the Krazy Kool Knitters & Krocheters (the K4s)at the Lake Orion Senior Center. We started out with just a small stock of yarn that had been previously donated to the center and a desire to do something to help the community. Thanks to generous donations from knitters both local and across the country, we've been able to keep our needles & hooks busy for the entire year.

When I started this blog last January, I began to use the sidebar to keep track of what I was working on and what I'd finished. For charity the totals are Hats: 148; Scarves: 97; Afghans: 4; Baby Afghans: 14; Baby Booties: 10; Garter Stitch Shawls: 8; Shrugs: 2; Washcloths: 36. Personal projects included Fingerless gloves for me; two Clapotis [Clapotis 2005 KAL]; a pair of worsted weight socks [1st Socks KAL]; Red Feather & Fan Vest [Knit Red KAL]; Lime Green Leaf Lace Vest for Mom (this one needs to be reworked); two pair of Brown Fuzzy Feet; Six Button-hole bags of various sizes [Rekal 2005, Just For Me KAL]; one cream colored Aibhlinn [Aibhlinn KAL, Just For Me KAL, ReKAL 2005 & Thrifty KAL]; a Feather & Fan Baby Afghan for a grand-nephew [Baby Knit Along]; Tivoli t-top [Just for Me KAL], a Yellow Raglan Pullover for Matthew and a Turquoise Blue Pullover for Megan. No wonder I didn't get much housework done!! But with all the knitting time, I was able to finish reading 93 books this year.

It's been a fun year. Knitting for charity has let me both keep busy & feel good about what I'm doing. By joining the K4s, the KALs and visiting other blogs I've made a number of good friends who have enriched my life by their presence in it. Looking ahead to 2006, I plan to continue knitting as much as I can for charity and to learn some new skills - like LACE. Sallee, aka Knitnana, is my enabler on this one. My DH got me two new books - Folk Shawls & A Gathering of Lace for Christmas and now I'm just trying to get up my nerve to order some yarn and attempt one of the simpler lace shawls. To everyone reading this, may I wish you a Happy New Year filled with health, happiness & lots of crafts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Happy to be a Lace Enabler! Now DH did not gift you those books for you to just peruse them, ya know? Go for that yarn! Spend the first part of 2006 making something JUST 4 YOU! You deserve it - I am just staggered by your charity totals, by the # of books you've read.
Thank heaven knitting and blogging brought us together, dear friend Jane! Happy New Year to you!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a