Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Are Ecuadorian Sheep Sanforized??

The felting of B5 did not go well - i.e., it didn't felt despite over 90 minutes in hot water and agitation. The black stripes which were the same yarn that formed the body of "little brother" Big Bad Bag, felted but only a few areas of the grey yarn did and I think they may be the ones that got hit with boiling water from the teakettle as I began to get desperate toward the end. Not even two trips through the dryer helped get those stitches to shrink and meld together. It's still usable, I guess, though I'll have to tie some loops in the shoulder straps as they're too long and carry needles and hooks in a smaller bag inside so they don't fall through. If I had a large enough kettle, I think I'd put it on the stove and boil it to see if that would make it felt. I double checked the labels that came off the grey sweater and it is 100% wool so I'm confused. I wonder if the sweater was ever dry cleaned and if that could affect it's ability to felt?

In other news, I turned in five more hat & scarf sets at the K4 meeting on Thursday. I had two more that were done except for running yarn ends in, but I forgot to pack my little tin with yarn needles and scissors and no one else brought any either so I'll have to turn those in next week. All our other hats & scarves have been distributed to Head Start & FISH to be given to people in need.

On Wednesday, we were in Port Huron, home of the big Mary Maxim store, and I got to shop there for a while. I found a set of size 13 double points that will let me decrease the tops of the double strand caps instead of finishing them all off straight across with a 3-needle bind-off. Mom picked out a couple skeins of black worsted so I can make her another vest. I'm also going to frog the lime green one I made for her earlier this year and see if I can get the armholes to fit better. Tonight I get to start browsing the two lace books that I picked out for Xmas (we always open gifts on Xmas Eve) and I'm sure that I'll be able to find some new lace patterns that can be adapted to the front panels of the vests. Amazon came through and sent the last three books overnight FedEx!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Pioggia said...

Sorry about your bag. At least it is usable. I hope you had a great Xmas.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a