Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, December 19, 2005

How BIG Is It??????????????

The Big Bad Bag's Big Brother (aka B5) is finished except for felting. This bag in it's unfelted size just might make Santa jealous! The bottom is 11" wide & 24" long, width of the body at the midpoint (with 4 rows of 4 stitch increases after picking up around the bottom) is 31" (so the circumference would be 62") and the height from where I picked up stitches to the top edge is 21". The shoulder straps are 40". See why I call it the Big Brother? It's difficult to tell from the photo but the bottom of the bag is actually lying on the floor because I didn't have a taller chair. When I put the straps over my shoulder, the bottom of the bag comes to about mid-calf.



In order to get something big enough to put it in for the felting process (I almost wrecked my washing machine felting BBB by putting it in "nude"), I folded a twin sheet into quarters and basted two of the open sides closed. I'll use safety pins to close the open side once B5 is inside. The silk & wool basket will go into a pillow case and be felted at the same time.

In other news, the boxes for Matthew & Megan with their sweaters are sitting in the post office out in Crestline waiting to be picked up. The USPS tracking service is sort of neat - it costs 45¢ and doesn't provide the detail that UPS or FedEx does, but I received an email yesterday morning that the boxes had arrived. I added DD#1's email address to the notification so she knows that they're waiting.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for notification that the other books from Amazon have been shipped. The one, Folk Shawls, was in Pontiac yesterday (more neat package tracking) and should show up today. Then the question becomes do I immediately pick out something to knit or be a good girl and wait for Xmas Eve & Santa??????

I've finished 4 hat & scarf sets for our K4 project and have a 5th set almost done. Knitting class is this afternoon, so I'll take everything along and get the ends run in. For now, I'm heading down to find safety pins and give B5 it's hot water bath. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Wow, that is a huge body bag. I mean purse. LOL I love the colors!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Don't forget to use the same chair so we can see the scale in the "after" pictures. Good job!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a