Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A MeMe Redux

I just realized that I left out 3/5ths of the MeMe from Sallee's blog. That's what happens when I blog late at night {g}...

3. Snacks I enjoy: I haven't been indulging much recently, but I love Wheat Thins with the yummy salmon dip that my DH makes, tabouli, salsa with white corn chips, guacamole & (strange as it may sound) elbow macaroni with butter, salt & pepper.

4. Things I would do if I were a billionaire: Set up college funds for my grandchildren that would see them through doctorates if they wanted, have our private road paved so none of us (10 houses) have to put up with potholes anymore, add a sunroom on the back and plant some tall evergreens along the fence so we wouldn't feel like we were looking into the neighbor's yard behind us, order lots of yarn for our K4 group, donate a wide variety of knitting books to the local library. We aren't really into accumulating a lot of "things", so there isn't a whole lot that I want or need.

5. Places I have lived: All in Michigan: a farm a mile north of Berville; the dorms at Oakland University, Rochester; Centerline; Clawson; Pontiac; Walled Lake; Waterford & here in Lake Orion.

6. Jobs I have had: Research assistant for several profs; babysitter; file clerk; waitress; teacher; mother; electronic assembly; machine tool detailing; computer programmer; office manager for a software company; printed circuit designer.

Now for that To-Do list for today - not everything was accomplished. We put off the cemetery trip because there's a frost warning out for tonight and I didn't want to plant flowers just to have them killed by frost.



The garden did get finished, but it still needs to be raked even. It's not very big, however I'll probably expand it next year. There's an area on the east side of the house that will hold at least four tomato plants and I'm hoping to get a dozen in this spot along with basil & a couple hills of zucchini.


Here are the seed potatoes cut into chunks with an eye in each and allowed to dry overnight to form a callus so they won't rot when planted.


About half of them in a trench along the south foundation of the house. I back filled lightly so I have soil left to mound them when they start coming up.


The corner flower bed. The forget-me-nots are still blooming, the hosta is up and the poppies have large buds. This poppy was a volunteer that started showing a few leaves a couple years ago. It had one flower last year and is going to have at least three this year. It's one of the red orange ones. I wish that poppies transplanted well as I have a pale pink one with burgundy centers at the other house that I wouldn't mind having here.


This is how most of my blogging is done recently - with cat in lap.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

A measure of my own sleepiness lately that I didn't even catch that you missed part of the meme!

Cat looks comfy. Not sure I would be for surfing or blogging...
:)
The garden looks great!
(((hugs)))

9:06 AM  
Blogger wrchili said...

That's where my cat likes to lay too :) Only she likes to drape herself over my keyboard, so I can't type.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Melissa F. in CA said...

Awwww! I miss having a kitty (dh is allergic). Looks like fun to surf with a furry friend :)

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane,
On this side of our state, SW Michigan, I held off on the planting yesterday also and brought the hanging baskets, etc in for the night but I am going to try it in about an hour - the sun is full and warm today.

I have transplanted poppies okay, the red orange ones, don't know why the pink would be any different. Try it.
Barb

12:20 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Mmmmm fresh potatoes! Kitty looks so cute and comfy situated on your lap! :)

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a