Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Socks, Socks, Socks

I just finished the second sock of my latest pair.


A toe-up using a variation of the Feather & Fan or Old Shale lace pattern. The standard pattern has an 18 stitch repeat, but my sock was 60 stitches around and I didn't want to either increase or decrease to obtain a multiple of 18 stitches. So, I did a K2TOG twice, (YO, K1) 4 times, SSK twice for a 12 stitch repeat.


The yarn is a "feather-weight" from Columbia Minerva that I picked up at a garage sale, 100% moth-proofed wool in a rust, gold & green heather. I used size 2 needles for everything but the garter stitch at the top of the cuff where I used size 3 needles and then bound off with size 4. On the first sock, I bound off at the end of the fourteenth repeat of the lace on the leg but it rolled out and doesn't look very good. Hence the garter stitch band at the top of this one. Now I need to go back, tink back the bind-off and finish that sock to match this one.


This is my latest stash enhancement destined for use in the Summer of Socks 08 KAL. I ordered it from Julia's Craft on Etsy - 20 skeins of Vinca superwash sock yarn in 10 colorways. The KAL doesn't start until June 21st (the first day of summer as my friend Sallee pointed out when I wondered why it wasn't starting right after the sign-up period {g}), but I'm not sure that I'll be able to hold out that long before seeing how the yarn works up. I'll probably play around with those two rather garish skeins that are the fourth down in the left hand package.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What beautiful socks and such wonderful sock yarn! I bet you can't wait for Summer to begin! :) lol

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a