Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Saturday Splurge

I treated myself to a few small splurges this morning while we were shopping. First stop, the Dollar Store where I bought two pair of socks, one white terry and the other knee length blue with little knit-in teddy bears, & five packages of flower seeds.. Come on, spring, hurry up and get here!!



Then on to Meijers where I indulged myself in some new Fructis shampoo & conditioner in one instead of waiting for the usual sale on Suave for 69¢ *and* a skein of Rainbow Dreams in the Rosy Forecast colorway! In all, about $10 out of pocket, but I'm feeling spoiled {g} Here's the new yarn destined for another run at the Clapotis but this time on size 10.5 needles instead of 8's.



And here's the sample I knit up yesterday in the leftover Jetstream on 10.5's.



I'm going to slip this onto a stitch holder for later because if the larger needles make the Clapotis drape better, I may frog the first one and remake it. I've been wearing it in the evening since I finished it. I tend to stay up late and the furnace is programmed to turn down to 55° at 9 p.m. When I sit on the couch to knit, there's a cold breeze from the window behind me, so I pull the Clapotis close around my neck & head and stay cozy.

I worked on both the sock & the LlamaAlong hat last night. The heel of the sock is turned and the stitches for the gusset picked up.



Somewhere along the line, I messed up the stitch count on the LlamaAlong hat. When I went to start the first pattern, it seemed like I had 4 stitches too many, so I decreased to (I thought) the correct 80 stitches around. But then when I started the llamas in the second pattern band, it wasn't coming out the way that it should. I recounted twice and found that I had 70 stitches, not 80. Hmmm.. The pattern repeat with a little cross shaped motif between the llamas was 20 stitches, but the llama itself was 11 and 12 with a 1 stitch separation. Twelve goes into 72 six times, so I increased 2 stitches and worked six llamas around the hat. I think I like it better than the original.



My chores are done for the day, dinner is going to be leftovers of last night's rigatoni, so with nothing else to do, I'm going to go curl up on the couch and knit.. Now the only question is: on what?? Ennie, Meenie, Minney, Moe.......

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the pink there. Sock is looking good and so is the hat!

9:39 AM  
Blogger jeannie said...

I really like the hat, too. I think the way you fixed the "oops" is just fine.

I want to do a clapotis soon, with a NORO or Silk something.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a