Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, March 07, 2005

Monday Moaning

This day was spent on non-fun tasks - mainly sorting through two sets of records to get ready to do our taxes and to take Mom's to the accountant who does hers. I'd have rather been knitting, crocheting, quilting, even cooking would have been preferable. I think everything is ready for Mom's tax guy and I'll start putting our return together as soon as I've had a day or two to recuperate. I made a start on the recuperation process this evening by fixing an Indian curry for dinner.

Thank you for the extremely kind comments made about my quilts. I've had a couple email requests for more photos and seeing that no knitting or crocheting has been accomplished today.....


Thousand Pyramid -- Ok, there aren't a thousand pyramids in this version, but there are still quite a few. This is a full sized quilt - 100" square - for our waterbed. It was one of the first ones I made and pre-dates my stash of reproduction fabrics. It is not a "charm" quilt because I used fabrics more than once. As you can see, Tiger thinks it's just fine as it is. He holds this opinion about most, if not all, of my quilts and insists on testing them out in every stage of their creation.


Nine-Patch set on point -- This one continues my on-going fascination with 9-patch blocks. I'd have to double check, but I don't think that I used any of the dark colors in more than one block. The lights had to be reused as the selection of reproduction lights (the shirting type fabrics) is limited. As for size, this quilt is an extra large lap robe and would probably work quite well on a twin bed or even as a topper on a double bed.


Hexagon Teabox -- I saw the original of this pattern while attending a quilt show held at the Somerset Place mall probably 15 years ago. It was a full sized quilt hanging in the booth of an antique dealer. I fell in love at first glance and as soon as I got home, I started cutting pieces for it. Every hexagon is a different fabric and the light triangles are unbleached muslin. At the time, I was a member of the Quaint Quilters group that met in Waterford and I took the top along to work on during meetings. I think that at least ten other members made their own versions. It was fun to see them all together because while I worked in reproduction fabrics as did a couple other members, some used bright calicos and others did theirs in a single fabric.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Hey, you stole my cat! ;)

You're right....our kitties could be twins! What a cutie.

9:21 PM  
Blogger ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

The only reason I can think of to ask you not to show any more of your quilts is that I'm going to sound like a broken record saying how nice they are! This time, I'm particularly liking the hexagon tea quilt--it's both scrappy & graphic, which I really, really like. Hmm. Food for thought...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Lisa, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the antique one at the quilt show. I made templates and started cutting pieces as soon as I got home. It was so much fun going through my stash and picking out the fabrics. Once I had all the hexagons marked & cut, I dealt them out like cards into rows and then arranged the rows and started piecing. It was a good project to carry along as I could put the pieces for an entire row into a ziplock bag.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Jane, your quilts are stunning. What talent, thank you for showing them!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a