Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Quiet Day - Short Post

No knitting today, but quite a bit of crocheting. I finished one baby afghan and started another and have it about 2/3rds completed. Still need to graft the toes of my socks and find the rest of the yarn hiding in the crawl space. I'm up to 96 skeins & 460 ounces listed in the database. Rather than leave this post without any photos, I'm going to include a few more of my quilts. These are all large lap robe size rather than full bed size.



Nine-Patch Medallion -- The squares in the 9-patch blocks are 1" and the setting squares are 3". It's a copy of an antique quilt in one of the Better Homes & Gardens quilting books.



Mariner's Compass -- My first quilt with "Garden Maze" sashing. Each block is done in a different set of fabrics except for the gold stars in the centers. I added those as an after thought, so they're pieced from four points but then appliqued on. The photo isn't the best as the quilt is laying on top of about 20 other quilts and I didn't get it smoothed out enough - it does not have large puckers in real life.



Hexagon Medallion -- This is one of my favorites! I use this photo as the background on this computer and never get tired of looking at the fabrics or the colors. Every hexagon is a different fabric, no two alike, making it a "charm quilt". The center section is a copy of an antique quilt in a Ladies' Circle Quilts. That quilt was folded over the door of a cupboard so I couldn't see the whole thing to match the fabrics beyond the center, but I think I was able to keep the antique feel fairly well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane, those are nice. I hope you show pictures of your other quilts too. It was lovely to see these. I have my eye on doing something mariner's compass next; I just love them (and hexagons, and nine patch...). Question: what are the dimensions of a lap robe?

Lisa
http://blackwaterpark.typepad.com

11:20 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Judy Matthison's book on Mariner Compass quilts is a good one. If I remember right, at the time I made the Mariner's Compass I had access to AutoCAD at work and created my own pattern for the blocks to get the size I wanted.

I've always considered a lap robe to be anywhere from 45" square (you can cover your lap but not much else) to 65 or 70" dimensions (big enough to curl up under on the couch for a nap). I was working in those sizes for a number of years because I wanted to try out many, many patterns. Anything smaller, I figure is a baby quilt or a wall hanging and I have a few of those too. I also like making doll quilts. Right now, I have three bed-sized quilt tops ready to mark & stretch as I need more of that size so I can rotate them on and off the bed without wearing them out the way I did two of the first few quilts I made and used constantly for about 12 years.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those are truly lovely. I sometimes think about quilting - until I get to the part about having to house another stash - and I'd have to rent another apartment for that :)

Maybe someday...

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are really beautiful quilts. I'm impressed and envious all in one happy breath.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a