Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Lots of Navy Blue Yarn

A trip back to the garage sale where I found the green tweed sweater yielded a 100% wool navy blue pullover for $1.50 (or half the price being asked yesterday).



This one was a little more difficult to disassemble because of the color and the yarn used for the chain stitches was slightly lighter weight but dyed the same color which made it hard to see. I lost a few yards with a injudicious cut or two. I finally resorted to pulling out the lighted magnifier and was able to finish taking it apart and getting all four sections to start unravelling. Here is the first hank from the back - it's BIG!



The yarn is slightly heavier than worsted weight and definitely destined for a felted bag. I still have the front and both sleeves to unravel.

I gave Mom the lime green vest today and it may be a little small on her. Mom is only about 5' and quite thin. She mentioned that some of the earlier vests that I'd made for her were too big now, so I intentionally made this one smaller and perhaps overdid it. She's going to wear it at least once to see if it really is too small before she gives it back so I can frog it down to the armholes and add a little length.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying your thrift shop/yard sale finds and am gearing up to do some of that sort of "re-cycling" myself. What a great way to find yarn!

You mother's vest is just grand. I love the leaf-laces; they're so graceful.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Very pretty

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boy oh boy, aren't you just the froggin' fiend! Whatchya gonna make with all that wool yarn you got there? Really good finds, if I do say so myself! Ya gotta love those garage sales!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Did you just make that pattern up? It's very cute, I hope it fits.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

The vest pattern is from a Leisure Arts booklet that I've had for years. The leaf pattern was included in the booklet, but I've taken the basic pattern and used different lace designs up the front. It's knit in worsted weight on size 13 needles, so it's warm without being heavy weight. It took just a smidge over 5 ounces of yarn. There's another Leisure Arts booklet with a similar vest but instead of lace, the yoke is done in Gansey style stitches - double moss, blackberry, etc. It's another one that can be customized and it's even easier than the lace as it's boat neck and the armhole facings are garter stitch and worked along with the yoke instead of later.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

All that feltable navy wool would make a great large tote bag, like the zippered overnight in Pursenalities. Good job!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, could you teach me just the pattern stitch of the leaves at the front?

I would love to use that leaves in other project. I would love to learn your leaves that you use in this work with the modifications you create, no the ones in the leaflet. lol

Thank you!!!

love and kisses

Angie

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, please, could you teach me the leaves with the lace modifications you made? I would love your pattern of the leaves, no the one in the leaflet.
Please, explain just the leaves panel in the front.

Thank you!!

Love and kisess,
Angie

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a