Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Spring Fever

It's been in the 70s the past couple days here in the south east corner of Michigan, and I think I have spring fever. Combine that with the on going effects on my system of Day Light Savings Time's Spring Ahead, and I haven't been getting much done. I did finish a couple hats and a baby afghan for our K4 project:



And the reclaimed ramie / cotton blend from the sweater that I took apart last week has dried and is now rolled into balls.



It seems to have shrunk from being washed in hot water as the hanks that came off the swift didn't want to go back and and I had to resort to draping them around three of the arms and over the fourth. I'm still not sure what I'll do with the yarn as this was a 10ยข experiment, but I think I'm glad that it shrunk in the hank and not after I knit it into something. I've been looking at this pattern from Knitty, but I think the gauge is a bit small for this yarn. Maybe it's time to dig out my Elizabeth Zimmerman books and design my own pattern? [You might notice that over there in the sidebar there's a button and a link to a new Elizabeth Zimmerman Fan group.] I like neck down patterns and given that I don't know the yardage that I have with this yarn (or how often I'm going to have to snip out bad sections where one or more of the six thin strands that make it up have broken), knitting top down seems sensible. Once the yoke and sleeves are done, I can continue knitting until I run out of yarn and really, really hope that the sweater turns out longer than the Bad Penny one (or that my jeans ride higher {g})

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater from Knitty would be cute, but if you can design your own you should try it! That would be great!
Good luck!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Love all your charity projects! The hats came out just great! Thanks for posting the step by step stitch markers. Yours I just love! I have most of the supplies now and have been wanting to make some!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I, too, would be a bit concerned about that knitty sweater (for the reasons you mentioned!) so if there's anyone I know who could design their own - its YOU! Go for it!
(((hugs)))

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a