Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, March 18, 2005

A Red Vest For The Knit Red KAL

I've been working today on the vest for the Knit Red KAL and have 8 repeats of the lace pattern completed. I think I'll need three or four more before I divide for the armholes. The pattern is Feather & Fan - very much like the lace I used for the fancy baby blanket, but that one has every other row purled.



Working with the flash, it's difficult to see the stitch pattern so I played around in IrfanView and tried to make the stitches show up a little better. I wouldn't mind having yarn this color!



In other news, we went to the first garage sale of the season in the midst of a snow storm. Yup, another couple inches came down last night and this morning as a long narrow band of snow went right over top of us again. It's quit for now, but later tonight there is more on the way with the possibility of sleet & freezing rain. Spring is supposed to be right around the corner, but you sure couldn't prove it by looking out a window here. Anyway, the garage sale had lots of antiques - even a large spinning wheel like the one we found in the attic out at the farm. Only this one had the spindle parts that Mom's is missing. The wheel comes up to a little above my shoulder - I'd estimate a little under 5' from the floor to the top of the wheel. They also had an old rather primitive yarn skeiner - all too expensive for my pocketbook, but fun to see. I was keeping an eye out for wool sweaters that could be dis-assembled for knitting slippers or felted bags, but nothing like that was offered. It won't be too long though before there's more than one garage sale per week and I can do some serious hunting for yarn on the hoof.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Jane - your vest is wonderful! Perfect, perfect for the KRKAL! And I'm chomping at the bit for the first yardsales here, too! Will be looking for sweaters to unravel, and knitting stuff, too. ((hugs))

10:37 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Wow, Knittin' momma - that DYI site is something else! I'm going to be days looking through all the goodies. I've refashioned a couple sweaters over the years - made a pullover into a cardigan, reworked a neckline - but I'm better at taking one apart. Mom has an antique yarn skeiner and it's great for unravelling a sweater in a hurry. I want to try some more felting (despite the semi-disaster my first try was) and I can remember a number of wool sweaters that I passed by at garage sales last year that I could have picked up for a dollar or two. If I get lucky this year, I can definitely see a Sophie or Buttonhole bag in my future.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a