Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Tremendous Thursday

Can you tell that I've been having a pretty good week since I got over the Monday Moaning? K4 gang met this afternoon and although only two of us showed up, Virginia and I had a good time. The booties elicited a lot of "awwww"s and I finished the green pair and started a pair in the variegated which I finished up this evening. Still have to sew them up to be completely finished, but will try to get to that tomorrow. Continued working on the Baby Rag-Tag #8 - this one is purple & lilac. I have enough yarn to make a second one that's just the same - I wonder how much teenagers like purple? Virginia called Lighthouse in Pontiac about the new shelter they're opening for homeless mothers of newborns and they seemed quite excited at the idea that we've been making baby blankets for the littlest residents when the shelter opens. The baby booties will go there too and hopefully help to wrap these new babies in blessings & love.

I forgot to take photos of the three baby afghans I took in today - there's a picture of the first one half done in an earlier posting and the other two were green and white with touches of green & yellow variegated. Lacking any real photo content until I get the new booties sewn up and the afghan finished, I'll leave you with photos of a sweater I made for my DGS (Darling GrandSon) a year or so ago. The original pattern was in Knitters Magazine, but I changed it around to have raglan sleeves instead of drop shoulders and really improvised on the button on pattern panels. The sweater itself is completely plain except for the buttons on the front that match with the buttonholes in each of the pattern panels. By changing the panel, the whole look of the sweater can be changed.







Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger freddyknits said...

Jane, that sweater is so clever. I love it! I must get the pattern. What a wonderful shower gift from a group of knitters - each one could do a separate panel!

xoxox Lynne

6:40 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I think you could do it with any plain sweater pattern. The panels were about 42 stitches wide with 4 stitches at each side in k1,p1 ribbing. I just made a chart on graph paper of the remaining 34x26 stitch center section and played around with designs that would fit in. You could alter the size of the panel to smaller and just adjust the buttons to fit on smaller sweater. I think I made about a size 6 or 8 for the grands to grow into. I have a bunch of designs already plotted in Excel - mostly animals, some monsters, etc. I used the same approximate size design for the Creepy Crawly & Bunny sweaters that I posted on January 8th.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

This sweater is so adorable, I love it!! Its so cute....also, thanks for the sidebar help you gave me Jane...my sidebar is on the backburner for now, but who knows? maybe I'll get adventurous and give it a try. Sign me, undecided, but thanks !

10:40 PM  
Blogger Ev said...

What a GREAT idea!!! You plot your own designs? Talented lady!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a