Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Quiet Days Abound

Yes, another quiet day without much to share. I'm still knitting booties & crocheting baby afghans. I spent some time last night paging through my back copies of Knitters Magazine and found some patterns that I really like for sweaters and vests with lots of cables. Most of the yarns used in the patterns are what I term "fancy" - i.e. *expensive* - so I'll need to look for alternatives. (If the blog title Cheap Knitter hadn't already been taken, it would have be a good fit for me {g}) For a few years, including the issues I'm looking through, Knitters used wraps per inch to indicated the weight of the yarns. It's probably more accurate than DK, worsted, sport & etc, but I needed some sort of guideline to get an rough idea of the weight of yarn before I started pulling out my stash and swatching. I found it here at Yarn Forward Tension (Gauge) Guide

I finished the ribbing for the Feather & Fan vest I'm making for the Knit Red KAL and started to change the points on my Needle Master cord from the 8's to the 11's for the lace design. Then I ran into problems.



You'll notice the vast difference between the size of the points. There is no way that the ribbing stitches worked on the size 8 points are going to stretch onto the size 11 point so I can start working the next row. I've used these needles a lot, but previously the size change may not have been so great or I had an extra cord available so that I could knit off the smaller points onto a different set. This time, however, I have three other projects on the needles - the top down cranberry cabled yoke, the fair isle vest & the Clapotis - so that wasn't going to work. I do have a size 7 stand-alone circular from years ago, so I moved the stitches onto that and then knit them off onto the N-M and the size 11 points. All's well that ends well. I have the first lace repeats completed and will post another picture when I'm enough repeats along that the pattern will show up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a