Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, March 11, 2005

Fabulous Finishing Friday

Arrggg.. a long, long post just disappeared!.. Friday is suddenly looking a little less fabulous!! I'm going to compose this one in EditPad and paste it in so I have a backup just in case Blogger burps again.

Anyway, I did finish quite a bit today, so that part of the title is correct. The socks for the 1st Sock KAL are finished, finally. I don't know if I'll ever become a sock addict. It's not that I didn't have fun knitting them, but I found myself putting off the grafting of the toe for days and days. I finally forced myself to sit down in front of the computer and pull up the directions for the chimney toe grafting. I found that it's not as easy as the pictures make it look as on the site they used a contrasting yarn for the graft and it was easy to see where the last stitch and the next stitch were. Using the same color yarn as the sock was more confusing and I think I missed a few loops or grafted to a stitch below the one I should have used. I tacked those stray loops down on the inside with the yarn ends (3 of them - both ends of the grafting yarn plus the yarn tail from the sock). Here are the finished socks plus a close up of the toe grafts.





I also sewed up the latest two pair of baby booties from the yarn that Heather sent. I've found that the best way to have the seams look neat is to use the mattress stitch on the back seam then turn the bootie inside out and overcast the cast-on stitches of the sole from the inside.



The purple & lilac baby afghan is complete and as I have enough of both yarns for a second one, I started it this evening.



Finally, I joined the Knit Red KAL hosted by Sallee at Knitana The goal is to knit anything you want as long as it's RED symbolizing the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute's Red Dress Campaign to publicize the fact that heart disease is a woman's issue too. This afternoon I cast on stitches for a sleeveless vest in the brightest red yarn I could find in my stash, a Bernat worsted weight. The vest is a lacy feather & fan pattern, originally designed to be knit as a front & a back and then sewn together at the sides and shoulders, but I'm going to work it on circular needles up to the armholes and use a 3 needle bind-off for the shoulders. The armholes have garter stitch edging that's knit along with the body, so I should only have to run in a few yarn ends to finish it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks and your grafting looks fine! There's a book called "Learn to Knit Socks" that I got at Michaels, and it has great grafting instructions in it. Also there's a site, www.knittingatnoon.com that has instructions and a little video to show how to do it.
Love the booties!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Whoohoo - Jane that red vest is a fine addition to Knit Red -thanks so much for the help you've offered everyone!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a