Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, March 17, 2005

A Clapotis Update

I've been working on my #2 Clapotis off and on over the last couple weeks. It's going a bit slower than #1 as I've been taking more time for the charity knitting, but it is coming along. I'm just getting ready to drop the 9th stitch and I love the drape that I'm getting with the size 10.5 needles. This one is going to be a *LOT* bigger. The first skein of yarn is almost gone and when I had to join the second skein on #1, I was at the point of starting the decreases - or 4 more dropped stitches along.



At the K4 meeting today, Diana - who has started her own Clapotis - gifted me with 30 "bone" rings to use as stitch markers. They do slide along more easily than the elastic bands I was using and seem to work just great. Thanks, Diana!!



Here is a close of the dropped stitches - you'll notice that the spread of the bars is about twice that of the ones knit on size 8 needles and that where it isn't stretched out for show & tell, the ripples close up nicely.



Right now, it measures about 28" on the narrow side and 55" on the long side with another 32 rows or more left before the decreases start. I noticed on #1 that the decrease end is more pointy than the increase end. I'm not sure why that should be as for the increases, it's one stitch increased at the end of each row and for the decreases, it's one stitch decreased at the end of each row. Logic says that the ends should turn out identical, but they're not. I'm not the only one noticing this as it's been mentioned on the KAL. When I get to the decreases, I'm going to take a long hard look at what happened with #1 and see if I can figure out a way of making the two ends match.

In other non-Clapotis news, I worked on the pale pink crocheted baby afghan, finished off another bootie and have a rainbow colored hat with black ribbing all ready to finish. Our K4 group had a request from the local FISH organization for more winter hats, especially for men, so Virginia was going to drop off a dozen caps and six scarves today or tomorrow. Oh, and you'll notice over in the side bar that there are buttons to two rings that I just joined. The Knitting Bloggers is huge with over 600 members. If you want to spend an enjoyable evening sometime, just keep hitting the Random button on the main site and you can travel the world. Thrifty Knits is a brand new ring, dedicated to finding sources for reasonably priced yarn.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ev said...

Beautiful clapotis!! Every time I think I'd like to do another one, I smack myself. As much fun as it was to do.... no!!!

And you're right about the shape. Mine's pointier on one end, too. I'm not sure why.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a