Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Vest Update

I just divided for the front & back yokes of the red Feather & Fan vest. I've made vests like this before where the armhole edging is knit in garter while working the yokes and found that after wearing one a couple times that the stitches under the arm pulled apart and laddered down for an inch or so. To combat that, I cross the underarm stitches as I'm dividing. The last stitch of the back becomes the first stitch of the front so they can't pull apart. Here's a photo where I've attempted (Windows Paint program is not the best graphic tool) to highlight which stitch goes where.



The stitch marked in yellow is the last stitch of the back yoke which now moves to the needle to be knit with the front yoke. The stitch marked in black is the first stitch of the front yoke which moves to the back. The resulting X keeps the underarm tight. This photo shows the stitches without the addition of my questionable drawing abilities:



Besides working on the red vest, I crocheted on the pale pink baby afghan, finished off a cap in the rainbow yarn with black ribbing that I started yesterday and made a second one.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nifty trick - that crossing the stitches under the arm! I'm definitely going to have to remember that. Thanks for sharing :)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting on my socks! I like the colors, too - it's an Opal yarn but I don't know which number. I read your CSI post. There was an episode on the original that kept referring to fibers from an afghan (clearly mohair) as "angora, from an angora goat." I emailed them and clarified - that it had to be *mohair* from an Angora Goat. No response. Yes, we need to consult - for such good shows, they routinely use fibery references and then screw them up!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Is that a common problem when you knit a vest on the round? Thanks for sharing the solution.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

It's only a problem when the pattern doesn't call for stitches to be picked up around the armhole to finish it off - usually with ribbing. But when you have self faced armholes and are knitting in the round so there are no seams to keep the underarm tight, then the stitches will spread apart unless they're crossed. If I can dig out one of the early vests I made before figuring out a solution, I'll post a photo so you can see what I mean.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

Thanks! I've never knitted a vest in the round, and I've always done the ribbing on the armholes... maybe I should try new things.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a