Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Wool Peddler In Progress

I finished up the garter stitch center of the Wool Peddler shawl on Saturday and started in on the lace border Sunday night. This is how far I got:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I didn't work on it last night because I can't decide if I should frog to correct this mistake:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

See it there in the repeat on the right, just above the end of the camera strap? I was shy one stitch on the right side of the repeat when I got to the 6th row and thought I could just add a stitch in without it being too obvious. Now I don't know. Maybe it wouldn't be noticable once the border is completed, but I know that it's there and it's bothering me. The old "blind man on a galloping horse at midnight" theory doesn't seem to be working. An additional concern is that I swatched a lace design very close to this one last week before my KnitPicks order arrived.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The first two repeats use the [slip 1, k2tog, psso] two stitch decrease called for in this Horseshoe lace pattern from the Elann site and in the Wool Peddler pattern. The last repeat, I tried a centered decrease of [slip 2 together as if to knit, k1, psso] that I use when I'm decreasing at the bottom of ribbing for a V neck sweater. At the time, I thought that I liked it better than the off-centered decrease that was in the pattern, but now that I'm working with the Iron Ore yarn and the line continues up through another pattern, I'm not so sure. I hate the idea of frogging back to the set up row and going through getting the lace rows started again, but will I be happy with the finished shawl if I don't? Opinions welcomed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much as I hate to say it, if it were me I'd probably frog & reknit. I've ignored little mistakes like that in the past & they continue to haunt me to this day. Sigh.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I refer you to my QOH photos...Do you see the row of extra YOs? I never saw it till I blocked it. I wear the shawl and I remind myself not to be upset by it now. I was not about to put it back on the needles once blocked!

NO ONE has mentioned it. But I know it's there. It does bother me. The blind man on a horse will never have a clue on mine and it's MUCH more obvious than yours (I cannot see yours in the photo).

I can't make your decision. I can only offer my own experience. I won't reknit QOH. But it does bother me...
(((hugs)))

12:47 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

How obsessive are you with your knitted garments? Are you constantly checking and re-checking them after finishing them? If that's the case, go ahead and rip, but I don't think it's necessary.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a