Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Oh! WOW!!

The Post-Office person brought me a wonderful package today from my friend Sallee (aka Knitnana). Look at all these goodies!!!



It's one of my favorite yarns - Caron Rainbow Dreams in Rosy Forecast and Fair Weather colorways. Sallee decided that she didn't want to use it for a clapotis and a shawl, so knowing that I love the colors and the acrylic doesn't bother my hands, she very kindly (and generously) sent it to me. THANK YOU, Sallee!!! I'll put it to good use.

And look what else was in the box! One of her famous Nana Sadie Rose check-book covers in the same print as the bag that's up there in the sidebar! Isn't it beautiful?



Here's a better photo of the fabric.. Sallee, I love it!!!!



As long as I had the camera out, I decided it was time to make good on my promise of updated photos of the Highland Triangle Shawl. You'll notice the multiple life-lines. One at the beginning of the inner border, one after the first rows just before I added in new columns at the edges & center (I learned this one the hard way after tinking back four rows because I goofed at the far left edge on the addition row, tried to fix it on the next pattern row and then decided that it had to come out). I put in the third life line two rows early by mistake, but I did a better job on the next addition row. The little loop of yarn on the far right is just to remind me that this side is the right side, something that's a little difficult to tell because the pattern is in garter stitch.



This is a close-up of the column lace in the inner border:



And here's a close-up of the edge showing how the increase stitches are worked in garter until there are enough for another pattern repeat.



It's difficult to measure with the shawl still on the needles, but I think that from the neck to the center point is about 32" now. The Wool Peddler isn't much more than that and it's a good size, so I may skip the last row repeat to make sure that I have enough yarn for the lace edging. I've never tried knitting on an edging and I'm eager to learn how it works.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I'm all a-grins! :) I'm glad you like your checkbook, it's a big thank-you for being such a good friend! And I hope you can use that yarn...I just had to get it out of my stash, since it burns my hands! Not fair b/c I love the colors...

OH OH OH your HTS is GORGEOUS! I hope mine looks half as pretty when I get to this stage...You've done such a nice job, and I think, just maybe, lace has gotten under YOUR skin, too! lolololo!
(((hugs)))

4:03 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

The shawl is looking good! That is one of many from that book that I'd like to make.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a