Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

Here We Go, Round Again

A couple days ago, I swatched the lace for the Kimono Lace Shawl in Folk Shawls with an eye toward using it as the front panel when I remake the lime green vest for Mom. I'm using the same DK weight wool from a recycled sweater that I used for my Aibhlinn and it seems to work nicely for lace - enough so that I'm wondering if I have enough in the large hanks I had left over to make a shawl. Anyway, the flash from the camera washed it out a bit, but the pattern can still be seen.



And here it is being worked into the vest. This yarn is acrylic rather than wool so it doesn't stretch out as much until the vest in on, but I think it's going to work. Because I didn't like this yarn on the size 13 needles the pattern calls for, I did some calculations and discovered that the largest size knit on 10½s will come out about 33" or just about right size for Mom who is tiny.



Our K4 group met yesterday and I turned in the cream colored garter stitch shawl that I finished earlier in the week and worked on the green shawl. Other than those two projects (the shawl & Mom's vest) I don't have anything on the needles other than really old PIPs that have been in progress far too long. The next "Just For Me" project will probably be the Highland Triangle Shawl but that needs to wait until I get the vest off the 10½ circulars. Guess I'd better get busy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I love the pattern! You always do such beautiful work!

Ruinwen
:)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Ohhhh....pretty pretty, pretty! Is there enough of that ivory to make a scarf? And while I'm not a "lime green" person, the vest is lovely, too! Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but did I just hear you say "Kimono Shawl" and "Just for Me KAL" in the same breath? As in, now there are 3 of the Folk Shawl shawls (one done, two planned) on your to-do/done list? Oh, I just love being an enabler! :)
LOLOLOL!
(((hugs)))

5:55 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

That's a great use for the lace pattern! That will be a very pretty vest.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a