Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, January 23, 2006

Another Trip To The Lilypad

Remember this vest from last April?



This is what it looks like now:



I wasn't too happy with it when I finished it despite the fact that the pattern was one that I'd used a number of times. When Mom tried it on, I liked it even less so a couple weeks ago I bit the bullet, brought it home and last night took it to the lilypad.. RIP-IT.. RIP-IT.. I'm going to try again and see if I can come up with a vest that I like better. I know that I used the same size 13 needle that I did for earlier vests in this pattern, but the knitting seemed a lot looser and the size was too small. I may try reworking the pattern - which is fairly simple - in a smaller gauge, perhaps by making one of the larger sizes on a smaller needle to firm up the fabric. Details to come...

On the other hand, the Wool Peddler Shawl is coming along other than I seem to be running shy on yarn despite ordering an extra skein beyond the yardage specified in the pattern. I've completed four of the six "scheduled" lace repeats and have two skeins left. The last repeat took almost all of a skein and beyond the two remaining repeats there are eight or so rows of garter stitch border. I did have to jump needle size up to a 10½ to get stitch gauge, so that might be a factor. I was hoping that perhaps I was getting a larger row gauge but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least unblocked.



At this point, other than ordering another skein or two of the Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks (something I'm loath to do because of dye lot factors combined with shipping costs if I don't order $30), I think my options are to add one more lace repeat and then work the garter stitch border as far as my yarn holds out or to skip the border and hope I can get two more lace repeats. I'm more apt to go with the first option and hope that blocking will increase the size. That leads me to a second problem - how to block a shawl when the only bed in the house is a water-bed?? I guess it's time to break down and buy a folding cutting board.

Update: I just discovered that I have *3* skeins of yarn for the Wool Peddler left. Cancel panic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a