Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Multi-Tasking

I tend to multi-task.. I read while I'm knitting or crocheting. When I watch TV, I have my needlework at hand and normally a book on my lap to read during commercials. I get a lot done that way, but at the same time it limits me to semi-easy projects. I can still work fair-isle patterns while reading, but working lace without watching every stitch defeats me. I'm still no further on the Adamas shawl than I was about this time last year and while I discovered a nice size ball of lace weight yarn in off white on the free table at the Sr. Center, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it other than admire it.

I've been multi-tasking for so long (I taught myself to knit while reading back in college over 40 years ago because I had so much reading to do that otherwise, I'd never get to pick up my needles) that it seem to be a part of me. Sitting and only concentrating on my needles makes me nervous - something is missing. Maybe if I tried hard enough I could get to the point where I could do simple lace while that other part of my brain gets on with being entertained, but I don't think it's going to happen with small needles and yarn that's so thin it looks more like crochet thread. With the Highland Triangle & the Wool Peddler shawls that I worked in Wool of the Andes on size 10½ needles, I got to the point, especially on the WP's lace & the two outer borders of the HTS, that I could work them without watching (but I put frequent life lines into the work just in case). I'm thinking of trying the Irish Diamond from the Folk Shawl book, but doing it as a triangle rather than a square. Because it's worked from the neck out as 4 triangles, I think it should be semi-easy to eliminate the center two - I'm still considering.

On the other hand, I have been busy:



These two shawls, started with 3 stitches at the bottom tip, increasing one stitch at the beginning of each row until there are 8 stitches and then with an easy K4, YO, at the beginning of each row to form the border and shape the triangle are quick and easy - an 8 ounce skein of Bernat or Red Heart Super Saver and size 15 needles. These will go to a local nursing home where the ladies are actually more apt to need a shawl in the summer because of the air conditioning. I'm also about 3/4ths of the way through another crocheted rag-tag afghan - this one has reds & pinks on either end and whites, creams & tans in the center - and I have the start of a royal purple shawl on the needles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I don't see how stuff would get done if I didn't multi-task. But most lace work cannot be done at the LYS or with the TV on or any other distraction because for me it requires a singular focus. This is why I don't do a lot of lace even though I love it. :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Maybe the lace just isn't you. After all, knitting is supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be relaxing.
If you're more keyed up doing it, then it's not the right thing to do.
So read and do simple things that make you feel productive and assuage your need to give to others.
Why not? There's just no law that says you have to knit lace (or socks either, for that matter!).
(((hugs)))

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a