Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, January 14, 2008

Fuzzy Thinking

I've been trying to come down with a cold the last few days - at least that's the excuse I'm giving for my fuzzy thinking patterns recently. I finished the toddler sweater this evening despite the fact that I made a major goof when I divided the body for the front & back. I didn't stop to count the stitches that I was leaving for the other side and had about 20 stitches more on the first yoke & sleeves than I did on the second set. I punted by increasing along the next to the last row of the 2nd yoke. If you look, you can see the extra stitches on this side sort of tucked under. I think it will be ok when it's worn and in that it was only an experiment in provisional casting on, I wasn't going to take it all out back to the body in the round. If I make this pattern again, I'm going to 1) be more careful about marking the half way point around the body & 2) recalculate the stitches using 10½ needles. Working this long on size 8's was hard on my hands.


Here's a look at the shoulders with the 3-needle bind-off eliminating the need to sew the shoulders.



And the underarm where the provisional cast-on was picked up to work the opposite side of the yoke & sleeves. Because picking up from a provisional cast-on leaves you with one less stitch than you had on the first side, I picked up stitches from the gaps between the sleeves & the body, two on each underarm and then knit them together in the next row to close the gap and make up the extra stitches.



Another almost finished project is the first blue sock. Last seen, I had just turned the heel. After a couple rows of plain knit, I started the cuff in an easy lace pattern. I had thought to top it with ribbing, but when I worked a few rows, I decided that I didn't like it and the lace was fairly stretchy on it's own, so I frogged back and continued to work in the lace pattern.



Here's the heel - a toe up flap version that was fairly easy - Thanks, Sallee!



I'm almost to the halfway point of the skein, so I'm going to have to bind-off fairly soon and start the second sock.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

The sock looks GREAT! I do like that heel pattern, and stick with it all the time (have it memorized now)...
Hope your "cold" or whatever gives up the ghost soon!
(((hugs)))

10:40 AM  
Blogger kat said...

like the blue of that sock!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon Jane. Since you're fighting off the cold, maybe make some spaghetti or something with a ton of garlic, and drink lots of orange juice might help kick it to the curb :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

You are so clever. A regular Elizabeth Zimmerman!
Hope you are back to normal!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a