Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Third Blog-versary

I let the first two slip by unnoticed, but yesterday I realized that today, Jan 6th, 2008, is the third anniversary of my very first blog post back in 2005. Therefore, I thought that I'd take a few minutes to sum up what I've been up to during those three years.

As you probably know if you've been reading this blog for long, most of my knitting & crocheting is done on charity projects in conjunction with our K4 (Krazy Kool Knitters & Krocheters) at the local Senior Center. To date, I've made 446 hats, 318 scarves, 29 afghans, 14 baby afghans, 22 garter stitch shawls, 10 shawls with lace edgings, 49 washcloths, 10 pairs of booties, 2 pairs of mittens & 2 shrugs - all of which have gone to various charities in this area.

Personal knitting is still happening, but not in those quantities. I've made my DH three pair of Fuzzy Feet and have another pair on the needles right now and yarn ordered for a pair that I hope will incorporate some recycled silk into the toes & heels in hopes that they won't wear out as quickly. For each of my two grand-kids, I've made two sweaters plus a hat & mitten set each. Two of my projects for the new year are new sweaters for each of them. Back in 2005, I participated in a lot of KALs - you'll find the complete list over there in the side-bar along with the list of patterns that I spent August & part of September designing & knitting items for The Wool Peddler. You can follow the link both here and there to purchase the patterns that are marked with *s. In 2006, I managed to knit the Wool Peddler & Highland Triangle Shawls from Folk Shawls, a second pair of fingerless gloves & three Barbie dresses for my Grand-daughter. In 2007, all I made for myself was a pair of Sassy Stripes socks on size 3 needles, proving to myself that I could work a short row heel. During all this knitting & crocheting, I managed to read 290 books over the course of the three years - please don't ask me what my house looks like..

What's ahead in 2008? Of course, we never can tell what the future will bring but I plan on continuing to knit and crochet for charity while making a few more things for myself & family. We're still planning to move over to Mom's house as soon as the kitchen is finished and we can figure out how to fit all our furniture in with the antiques that Mom collected. Other that that, there are just the projects I have on the needles now that I want to finish - the blue socks, DH's Fuzzy Feet & a toddler sweater that I'm trying to "translate" from a pattern with two pieces that need to be sewn together to one that's seamless. I have a stash of fingering weight yarn from Knitpicks that may turn either into socks or into a fair isle vest if I ever get around to designing it. I suspect, Good Lord willing & the creek don't rise, that I'll spend this coming year the way I've spent the last three - doing my best to give back to the community via charity work, reading lots of books (and recouping my property taxes via the books I get from the library and don't have to buy), spoiling our cats and avoiding as much housework as I can {g}..

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Fríða said...

congrats Jane, on your blogiversary! I am really impressed by how much you get done, both knitting and reading.
best wishes from Iceland
Frida

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogversary Jane :) I am always in awe of how much you knit and crochet, especially for the needy. You're a kind and generous person.

I also think it's awesome how much you read. I look at your list of books and then put them on my reserved list at the library.

Did you read Prisoner of Memory by Denise Hamilton? I loved that book and want to read it again. I renewed it for my son and after reading the back, he wasn't very interested but it really is better than he thinks it is :)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Happy Blogaversary! You are amazing!
(((Hugs)))

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a