Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, June 02, 2008

The Garden Is In!!

Hopefully, we've seen the last of the frosty nights until late fall because I put the garden in on Saturday.



First in were scarlet verbena in the front bed backed by six of eight basil plants. The hostas behind the basil have reached their full size so shouldn't interfere.


Here is the entire bed that's located below the kitchen window (unfortunately, all I can see from the window are the branches of the forsythia blowing back and forth). There's a pink clementis in the corner, a number of orange lilies, some beautiful dark red & bright yellow lilies, the hostas, a peace rose that Mom bought when I was still in elementary school, myrtle & violets besides the annuals that I put right in front. The myrtle & violets are invasive so more of them will be pulled as the summer progresses and the other plants need room.


This bed is in the back yard along the east side of the house and next to the compost pile. I put four grape tomato plants in on the left and there are two cells of zucchini toward the right (only one showing). The other plants are walking or Egyptian onions, a couple violets & lots of catnip for our feline babies.


This isn't a great picture, but it's the area we dug up this spring for garden space. I sort of stuffed the tomato plants in as there are 4 Better Boy, 4 Beefmasters, 4 more Grape, & 4 Early Girl in this space plus the two extra basil plants that didn't fit into the front bed.


Remember the perennial geranium that I posted a couple times earlier this spring when it was first coming up? It's now in bloom and will continue to blossom for most of the summer.


These iris which Mom brought from out on the farm are close by along the east side of the garage. They aren't anything special other than they bloomed out at the farm for as long as I can remember along the south & west foundations. Like the cabbage & 7 Sisters roses, they invoke lots of memories.

I turned the heel on the second Vinca #10 sock last night and started the K2, P2 ribbing for the leg. No knitting photos this time. Tomorrow morning at O'dark thirty, I get on a plane at the Flint airport heading for California and a visit with my daughters, son-in-law & grandchildren. Lots of stuff left to pack!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip! Your garden gets more and more beautiful by the day! :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Love the garden pics! Irises are lovely! I only have purples, but love the pale yellow! Have fun on yur trip!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Sounds like you got the garden planted just in time! We have been doing the same this weekend, and am happy with the progress... such a good time of year. Have a wonderful visit.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

By now you're on your way - the garden looks terrific! Hope DH remembers to water while you're gone...
Have a wonderful, safe trip!
(((hugs)))

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a