Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Recycle City

Thursday is garage sale day (actually along with Friday & Saturday) and the pickings are getting better. Here are today's finds - a total of $2.10..



The red & black sweater is a size L and 100% wool - it was $1. The blue sweater is acrylic and has a small hole in the front, but it's an XL and it was 10¢ - there's no way I can go wrong with that much acrylic yarn for a dime. The necklaces were 50¢ each and were originally destined to be taken apart for materials for stitch markers. The green & gold one is still going to be used that way, but I noticed that the large metal beads in the other one look like balls of yarn so for the time being I'm keeping that one whole to see if it will fit in with my wardrobe.

At the K4 meeting today, I turned in the 10 hats I finished last week and picked up yarn to make some new ones. The Senior Center is going to have a booth at the flower show in downtown Lake Orion next month and we've been invited to make some things that can be sold so we can raise money for more yarn. Hair scrunchies are quick and easy and should sell well with warmer weather approaching. I wrote out the pattern for the others and will be crocheting a few this week along with working on the hats.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pioggia said...

I was going to ask, how can you get enough yarn for all those hats? Now I see how. They're very colorful.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Most of the yarn for the K4 project is donated. When we first started last October, most of us were using up leftovers from other projects, but since then we've put out the word that we'll take any washable yarn and if it's a half finished project making you feel guilty, we'll frog it and make it into something useful. We had a couple small plastic baskets with yarn that was in the basement of the Sr. Center and since then we've filled a LARGE metal cupboard - one of the 6' tall ones - with donations. It's great!!

7:12 PM  
Blogger judy said...

You have terific garage sales.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

I saw stitch markers for sale at a yarn shop in Pittsburg, Pa. and they were nowhere near as nice as yours. By the way, your hats are lovely. I like the color combinations.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Most of the garage sales around here start about 9 a.m. We didn't get to the best one - at the elementary school where I found the wool sweaters for 25¢ - until about 11. The season is just starting and I've already scored enough wool to keep me busy felting for quite some time! {g}

Thanks, Maggie Ann, for the kind comments on my stitch markers. I've made four so far from the necklace I picked up for 50¢ on Thursday and they turned out nice. I like the addition of those little gold beads that were used as separators in the necklace. I'll post some pictures soon.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a