Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Friday, May 20, 2005

Garage Sale Mania

First of all, before I launch into my latest adventures in garage sales, I'd like to thank Tammy who left me a link to the synopsis of Wednesday's episode of Lost!

Two days of garage sales - and so many sub-division sales that there was no way that we had the time or energy to get to all of them, so we stayed in familiar territory where we knew that last year's sales were good. All in all, I spent a little less than $5 and came home with four wool sweaters for recycling and a quart size zip-lock bag full of costume jewelry necklaces with lots of beads to turn into stitch markers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm not enthralled by the vivid orange stripes in this sweater but the basic color is a beautiful brown/rust/green tweed. The yarn is 91% wool & 9% acrylic, so it may not felt - I'll try a swatch before I make a bag out of it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These are the three I found today - the one on the left is a bulky 100% wool in black that I've already started to frog so I can use it with the purple & green Lopi for more bags. The grey one may be a bit difficult with that deep V neck, but I should be able to get enough wool out of it to justify the price. And finally the one that looks blue in the photo is actually a soft lavender. Both these last two are shetland wool.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I finished the purple & green bag and gave it to my friend Pat yesterday at the K4 group. She took it home and felted it last night. I ran into her today at the grocery store and she's very happy with the way that it turned out. Pre-felted it was this size.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've already started a second one with a green base - these bags are certainly addicting! We already have 24 members in the Felted Bag KAL and many of us have plans to make various styles of bags for Christmas gifts this year. Come on and join us!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I really like the colors on your bag. When do we get to see the 'after' pic? (Yes, I am very impatient!)

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to thank you for coming up with the felted bag idea. I'm just going to cast on and improvise, which is my favorite way of knitting.

7:19 PM  
Blogger KniTaPaLooZa said...

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I love your colors. Those were the colors I was looking for today and they just did not have it.. Darn. I love it! Great job!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a