Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, May 09, 2005

The Good, The Bad & The UGLY

The GOOD: The bulky aran (sweater #1 in the April 16th post) is now 18¾ ounces of balled yarn and there's a small chunk of it soaking in a jar of bleach to see if it actually is wool and feltable. It only took me two hours total to get it apart and totally frog it, my best time yet.

The BAD: Or maybe not so bad, but the bright red lambswool vest is proving to be almost a lace weight and the seams are being a bit obstinate. I'll go at it again tonight while I'm watching TV.

The UGLY: I didn't look closely enough at the black sweater I bought on Friday - all the seams are serged which means that it was cut out of flat knitted material instead of being knitted piece by piece and that it isn't recyclable. At least I discovered that before I got any further than cutting off the buttons, so I'm going to try it on, see if it fits, and - if so - sew the buttons back on and wear it as is. It is a rather neat style with the Henley neckline and I like the yarn.

On other fronts, I finished a shawl for the nursing home. This one is made with two 3.5 ounce skeins of worsted weight acrylic. I started out with casting on three stitches, knit one row and then at the start of every following row, I K1, YO for the increase. When it looked as though my yarn was running out, I did one row of K1, YO, *K2TOG, YO, repeat from * across, then knit one more row and bind off. It came out 32" on the short sides and about 46" on the long edge which should be ok for wrapping around shoulders and tying in front. I have another one started in lavender worsted - that one may be a big bigger as it's an 8 oz skein.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

But before I get it to the size that requires my #13 circulars, I'm going to use them to make another felted button-hole bag. I've started a Felted Bag KAL where we can exchange patterns and hints on felting. Janet, who was one of the first to join, is working on a button for us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Nice shawl Jane. I started your Feather and Fan baby blanket. Just posted a picture of my humble beginnings. So far, its easy as pie. :-) I think I'll make the shawl too. I was wishing I knew how to make the baby blanket into a shawl and even !! have the feather and fan border.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a