Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Feather & Fan Pattern

I posted the Feather & Fan baby afghan pattern, complete with photo, via a link over there in the side-bar. If anyone runs into questions, my email address is there too. I'm almost finished with the center section and then I'll pick up all the YOs along the edge to start the lace. At that point, it's going to start looking like a wad of knitting - sort of like an oriole nest - until I bind off. I probably won't post another picture until it is bound off and finished because it's not going to look like anything until then.

Not having anything of my own to show off at the moment, I'll brag a little on what my DED (Darling Eldest Daughter) has been doing. These are the baby afghans, hats & preemie booties she's been crocheting as her own charity project. Aren't they neat??? I believe that some have already been sent to Iraq. I'm doing a "happy dance" because the crafting genes have kicked in {g}..



A few things I forgot to mention last week. On Thursday our K4 group sent seven more afghans and a shawl to a local nursing home where I'm sure they'll be put to good use even with summer on the way. (You wouldn't know it around here - we had a few moments of snow flurries on Monday and hard frosts the last two nights.) Distributing the afghans gives us a little more room in the three storage containers that are still pretty well filled with hats, scarves & baby items.

The other news, is that I've signed up to teach knitting at the Senior Center - no takers yet, but I'm hoping to lure a few more people into our K4 group. The only charge for the lessons is going to be that we're asking the students to make either a scarf or a hat and donate it to the project. "Come into my web," said the spider to the fly....

Because I've been finishing up the Aibhlinn and starting the baby afghan, I haven't spent as much time as usual on my K4 projects, but I should still have two hats to turn in tomorrow. I finished one up during bingo yesterday and started the second.

And speaking of the Aibhlinn, my grand-daughter, who is all of 4, got a laugh out of the 2nd photo of me in the cowl - the one where it covers me from the nose down. She thinks that I look like a Boobah from a new PBS kids show. I received a call yesterday telling me, between giggles, of the resemblance (fortunately, only from the neck up!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pioggia said...

Very perceptive, that 4 year old. Your daughter seems to be knitting up another storm to compete with yours.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

You have every reason to be proud of your daughter, I taught my 12 y.o. to knit when she was 6 and I hope she will always keep it up. Aren't kids priceless, I had a good ol' laugh over the Boohbah comment from your 4 y.o. grand-daughter, the aibhlinn was on my list to do, now I am not so sure. Oh and thanks for the link a while back to the doll maker, I have come up with my own, oh if only I had that figure:)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Wow, Jane! Your daughter has been busy doing good things!! I like the pics of you in the Aibhlinn. That should keep you warm next winter.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Wow indeed!! What a treasure chest of baby things. So beautiful!! You have reason to be proud and how. I'm off to copy your fan and feather pattern. Thanks!!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a