Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, April 17, 2005

A Button-Hole Bag

Here's the latest progress on my sweater recycling project. The Lopi circular yoke sweater has been reduced to seven big balls of yarn and I've started a button-hole bag.



I made the bottom of the bag longer and a bit wider than the pattern - 15 stitches across rather than 9, which added about 8 stitches on each side of the body. I'm also making it deeper than called for as after felting I want it big enough to carry a knitting project and a book. I'll probably work between two & three more inches before making the button-hole handles.

I took the darker cream aran sweater apart tonight and have the back frogged and wound into a ball. This one was sewn together with mattress stitch rather than the usual chain stitch you find on commercial sweaters. I noticed that there are a few stains at the bottom of the cuffs and one on the upper chest, so I'll skein the yarn and see if a little ERA and oxyclean will help. The stain on the body isn't readily apparent - so there's a good chance that even if it doesn't come out, that reknitting the yarn into something else which should "scatter" the slightly darker color, would make it less noticeable. I'm going to have to swatch for gauge, but I'm hoping that I can make the Aibhlinn from the yarn.

And speaking of recycling - Moki has discovered a good (to him) use for the wool sweaters pre-frogging:



He does look comfy, doesn't he? The tan, brown & black fair isle should frog semi-easily, but the one done in greys & red may be a challenge. The designs are worked as intarsia, so while I'll get a fair amount of the darkest grey, the other colors may be in lengths too short to use. I should have looked closer, but faced with sweaters for 25ยข, I grabbed first and looked later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I really like your bag! You are getting really good at recycling sweaters Jane!

Ruinwen
:)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Wow, you are such a fancy recycler! I really need to hit the thrift stores and start doing some yarn recycling too. I'm so impressed when I see all you fab thrifters getting so much good cheap yarn!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

I like your button-hole bag. The colors are very pretty. Could you tell me where you got the pattern?

11:00 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I found the pattern at Mason Dixon Knitting and then adjusted it a bit to get a bigger bag. I just finished it about an hour ago and the pre-felted dimensions are 17.5 x 12". I still need to graft the toes on DH's new fuzzy feet and then I'll felt everything at once.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a