Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Wow! What A Deal!!!

More garage sales today, and while the first few didn't yield much in the way of knitting goodies, an unadvertised sale at the elementary school in the next town was a treasure trove. I found *FIVE* wool sweaters, all large or x-large, for 25ยข each!



From the top down, all in wool, are 1) a hand-knit aran in a cream bulky, 2) another aran in what looks to be a bit darker cream sport or DK weight, 3) a fair isle in 4 colors - dark cream, tan, brown & black worsted weight, 4) another fair isle in 3 shades of grey (dark, medium & light)plus a touch of red, and 5) a hand knit in grey & cream Lopi wool. I weighed the sack when I got home and there's close to 8 pounds of wool here for a total of $1.25! I also bought a red fair isle vest and a denim vest, also a quarter each, just to wear as is. I've got my work cut out for me this week taking these apart.

The red & black sweater that I bought on Thursday has been reduced to balls of yarn. I haven't made it into hanks yet as I found that it was easier to frog into a ball first. I'm working on the blue & black acrylic sweater - it's in pieces and each is about half frogged. I was hoping to use the royal blue for socks, but unlike some acrylic yarns that will cut your fingers in two before they break, this yarn is quite weak so it isn't going to be a good choice for anything that's going to receive much wear. I think I'll eventually turn it into scarves for the K4 project as it's too good to discard even if I'm only out a dime.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!
That is realys some great recycling objects.
Espesially that hand knit grey & cream Lopi wool sweater, looks like a Icelandic sweater, tah one must have been partikkulary FUN to recycle ?
Was it knit in the round ?
Please remember to take before, during and after pictures.
Keep om the good work unraveling sweaters!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Actually, the Lopi sweater was the easiest to frog of all the ones I've done so far. NO SEAMS!!! It was hand-knit in the round and once I pulled out the stitches holding the neckband double and found the beginning end, it was quick work. I had to be a bit careful because Lopi yarn isn't really spun and if I pulled too hard, it would separate, but then it takes very well to the "Russian splice" where you simply roll the ends together for a couple inches and then rub between your hands to felt.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a