Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Monday, May 02, 2005

There'll Be A Change In The Weather, A Change In The....

...... A change in the blog. I'm slowly but surely discovering the ins & outs of Blogger. A while back, I changed the archives from monthly to weekly in hopes of lessening the band-width demands on my son-in-law's webspace where he very kindly hosts the photos for this blog. The list of archives changed immediately, but the early weeks were empty and not that many entries disappeared from the main page. Today I found that I had to do two things - change the number of days that are displayed on the main page (it's now set at 14 days, down from 31) and republish the entire blog, not just the index. Everything seems to be working now and I even added a link to the archived week that has the instructions for making beaded stitch markers as that entry seems to be popular based on the number of emails I receive about it.

I started in on the baby afghan last night for the grand-nephew to be. It turned out that I didn't have enough Bernat's Coordinates left over in blue & white to make a two colored afghan, but I found this skein of turquoise flecked with white hiding in my stash.



It's a little thinner than the yarn for the last afghan, so I'm using a size 11 needle and may have to work two repeats of the 38 row lace pattern. Those little red threads are there to mark every 10th YO at the beginning of the row. I need 51 of them on each side before I start decreasing to the far corner of the center section.

To answer a couple questions that have come in via the comments on various posts:

1) From Knittin' Momma: "Are you a picker?" No, I learned the English throw method and use it almost exclusively. The neighbor who taught me back when I was 8 had learned from a cousin by marriage who was from England. In the 70s, I learned to use both methods when I'm working a pattern in two colors of yarn. I throw the main color and pick the contrasting color. It makes colorwork go faster and my yarns don't get as tangled. There's a good explanation on how to do this in Lesson 3 of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop.

2) Maggie Ann - by this time, I've reworked the feather & fan pattern enough from the original that it should be copyright free, if it was ever copyrighted in the first place. I'll try to post it soon.

3) And for those who thought that my photos of the Aibhlinn that only showed hair & eyes were "a hoot", here's proof that I actually do have a chin. Because it appears that the cowl will always be folded to some extent, I've pushed the ending bobbles through the knitting so that they're no longer folded to the inside when the Aibhlinn is worn.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pioggia said...

It is very pretty indeed, though I agree with your observations on the length.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Jane, that looks so cozy and weather-proof. That would be nice if you could post the feather and fan pattern. I wondor though if it would be too hard for me?? But hey, I like a challange once in a while :-).

2:04 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Ah you dooooo have a chin! :)
I love Aibhlinn...regardless of length. And I think she's quite flattering: should go well with your green parka!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a