Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Aibhlinn Finished!!

It's finished! Now I have to figure out how to wear it..





It actually seems as though the 24" length is too long unless the cowl is pulled up as a head covering and when it's folded the ending set of bobbles doesn't show as well as I'd like. If I make another one - and I may as the pattern is fun - I think I'll make it about 6" shorter.

In the meantime, I just discovered that I'm going to once again be a Grand-aunt by marriage. DH's nephew & wife are expecting a baby boy in June. I think I have enough Bernat Coordinates yarn in white & blue to make one of the feather & fan baby afghans. The pattern works up fairly quickly on size 13 needles. This is the one I made for Grand-niece a few years ago.



The original pattern, which was given to me over 35 years ago, called for baby yarn on size 7 or 8 needles and each side of the lace border was worked separately with three repeats of the 36 row lace pattern. I made several of them to pattern, but the lace didn't show up all that well considering the amount of work - plus I disliked sewing the corner seams. I bumped the needle size up to 13s and used a circular to pick up all four sides of the center at once and worked one repeat of the lace in the round. The result is a larger, lacier afghan that shows the pattern better. Several of the new moms have told me later that when the baby outgrew this size afghan, they folded it diagonally and use it for a dressy shawl.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your baby news, and the cowl is neat! Your pictures cracked me up. I'm sure it will be nice for keeping warm!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Thora said...

The cowl is gorgeous, Jane. I had completely forgotten about that pattern and I'm glad to know it might need to be shorter.

There's a cowl I knit for a friend from HeartStrings Designs that had lace edging and beads. The beads seemed to help keep the weight of it on your forehead and there weren't so many you'd go crazy. I don't know if you are interested, but the link is http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/a39.shtm.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Thora said...

Oh, and congratulations to your family for the baby news!!!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

I really dig the cowl. Maybe if it had been a laceweight yarn the length wouldn't seem as cumbersome.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Your feather and fan baby blanket is lovely. I've never seen that pattern.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a