Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, May 12, 2005

If It's Thursday, It Must Be Garage Sales

Another Thursday on the fringes of the northern Metro Detroit area and the local penny advertiser is full of garage sales. It was a little too chilly out there for Mom's tastes so she declined to join us, but DH & I headed off just before 9 with a list that filled an entire 8.5x11" sheet of paper. The first few didn't have much, but at a sub-division sale up in Oxford I started running across wool sweaters and sellers willing to deal. This isn't the best picture of the three I purchased, but the black large sized lambswool in the back was 50¢, the large dark red heather merino wool in the middle (which doesn't show up very well) was 75¢ and the large grey heather one on top, for which I paid $1 is 100% cashmere! These are all men's sweaters with saddle shoulders that I'm hoping will frog easily and the yarn is very light weight, perhaps fingering or even lace weight.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's a better photo of the color of the red sweater that got lost in the above shot. You'll notice that it still has the store tag attached - $19.99! What a deal {g}

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here is the larger felted bag in recycled Lopi that I've been working on - I have some more grey rows to do, then two more stripes in the cream as I start to decrease up to the handles which will be grey. I doubled the red wool worsted weight yarn from the black & red sweater from a couple weeks ago to do the checkerboard design as the Lopi is very thick.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And for future bags, my dear friend Pat gave me this yarn that she had been given and didn't need. More Lopi (!!!) in purple & lime green which should make a much more colorful bag than my previous ones.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Anyway, I'm going to curl up with my book and work some more on either the grey bag or the lavender garter stitch shawl for the K4 project. I brought home yarn from the K4 meeting today to make a couple more shawls, so I should be busy this week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More CASHMERE??!! I'm sooo jealous. You really know which garage sales to go to don't ya?
Your bag is looking fab, and I love the colors of the lopi your friend gave you. Nice and bright!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a