Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Big Bad Bag Lives Up To Its Name!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's felted, but in the process the Big Bad Bag lived up to it's name by somehow escaping from the pillow case I thought it was firmly rubber-banded into and scattering wads of black wool all though my washing machine. Fortunately, the machine appears to still be working! I put it through the same routine as I did the last two Lopi bags in green and purple. The bag and the intarsia sweater I didn't think would come apart were put in separate queen sized pillow cases and went into the washer with an old towel and a couple t-shirts. I started out with the low water level and worked up to the high level resetting the timer with each addition of water. When I checked the bag after about a total of 35 minutes of agitation, I discovered the errant bits of wool and that the bag wasn't felted enough. Back into the pillow case it went with two rubber bands guarding against another escape and I repeated the cycle at which point I decided to quit and see what I had. I tossed it into the dryer where it managed to pick up little bits of teal green lint from that old towel. As you can see from the photo, it has shrunk considerably, but it is still not as felted as the Lopi bags were in half the time. One disappointment is that the straps did not felt into solid ropes the way the Lopi bag's did. They are as thick around, but the outer edges didn't lock onto each other so they are open tubes. Still, I think that the bag is quite successful. I like the color combination and it's big around without being too deep so it should be semi-easy to find things. With the strap over my shoulder, the top rides at waist level and the bottom about half way down my thigh. It measures 24" across by 9.5" from the rim to the base, the base is 20" x 10" and the handles shortened to approximately 30".

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

I think it looks great, but then I've only felted two things, a teddy bear and a bag. My bag didn't felt as firmly as I'd have liked but I told my mom to go ahead and wash it. Maybe in time? LOL

Anyway, I love the color combo too and I think you did a great job on it!

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I think that's a great looking bag! It will be perfect to carry your knitting around in. =0) Love your blog!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

I wouls check that washing machine thoroughly before trying it again.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a