Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Tie A Yellow Ribbon.....

Ok, I don't have a yellow ribbon, but whichever of the Sweet M&M's fits into this sweater is going to stand out in a crowd. Boy, is it ever bright yellow. The pattern is a top down raglan from the Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting Book with a few changes. The neckband is the cabled one from the pattern, but the original version, which you can see on the right hand side of the book, uses YO, K1, YO to form the raglan increases and I didn't like that look.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm using the same three stitch cable from the neckband as a design element for the "seam" and increasing on either side of the P1 stitches that set the cable off from the stockinette stitch. I'm increasing by lifting the bar between the knit & purl stitches onto the needle and knitting through the back loop, which twists the stitch and minimizes the open work effect.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I have about twelve more rows to work before dividing for the sleeves and body. I'll be adding length to both the body & sleeves because the kids are very tall for their ages and the extra length will let the sweater be worn longer. I've tended to make things for them bigger than I expect they'll need at the moment ever since I made this rainbow jumper and jacket set for Megan and it was too small. It's the same set from an old Family Circle Needlework magazine that I made for her mother back in 1970 or 1971.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

6 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

These are really cute kiddo items... I like bright colors on toddlers, and it sure helps scout them out in a group. I seem to remember that very romper outfit from my earlier pattern-collecting days!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Just love that rainbow set! How sad it was too small...save it for the next generation?
(((hugs)))

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that little jumper! Now I want to make one for Eva.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Pioggia said...

I have the feeling that children are bigger nowadays... I don't know what my sister's feeding her kids but they are also too tall for my knits.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! Love those rainbows.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Hi Jane, your top-down raglan looks like its fun to make. Have to admit here, I haven't started my lace edge to your 'Feather and Fan' baby afghan yet. Just got back from Canada however, where we enjoyed Niagara Falls and the sights there.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a