Plain Jane Knits Up A Storm

A few musings about my needlecraft hobbies - knitting, crocheting, quilting, & cross-stitch along with my other love, genealogy. While growing up, I used to HATE the term "Plain Jane", but when it comes to knitting & crocheting, I've realized that I really *am* a Plain Jane in that I don't use fancy yarns.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern Detroit Metro area, Michigan, United States

Thursday, June 09, 2005

A Tisket, A Tasket, A Green & Purple "Basket"

OK, they're not really baskets, but you try to think up a catchy title {g} I finished Button-hole Bag #4 last night (you can see a photo of #3 in the May 25th post so I won't repeat it here). Both bags are made from Lopi yarn on size 13 needles. #3 pre-felted is 16.5" wide and 9" high, the bottom is 13"x 6".

#4 is made differently. I didn't increase and decrease at the side "seams" on it the way I did on the others and while I bound off 12 stitches for the handle opening, I cast on 50 to make shoulder straps. I used the crochet over a knitting needle cast-on - it's often used for a provisional cast on, but it worked great for putting a firm edge on the handle - even better than the "e-loop, then purl" cast on I did on the earlier bags and much faster. This bag is 15" wide & 11.5" up to the rim, while the handles are approximately 18". I think I could have made the handles a bit longer as pre-felted, they fit comfortably over my shoulder and the bottom of the bag hangs at hip level. I'm a little worried that felting will shorten them too much, but we'll see.

Shoulder-strap version of Button-hole Bag - Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In other news, the "Expert" has weighed in and Matthew has requested that the fair isle patterns be added to his sweater. We're headed out to garage sales in a bit - there's a subdivision on just down the road that has had good pickings in past years. Then this afternoon is the K4 meeting - I'll have the slate blue shawl and the yellow hat to turn in and I'm working on a gold shawl and a cranberry red hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Acrylics Anon/a